"They say there's a reason for everything, maybe someday I'll figure out what it is..."




One of my all time favorite flicks has to be What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993); and a young, long-haired Johnny Depp is just part of it. I just finished watching it again last night during a fit of insomnia, and thought it deserved a mention. The story is about unconditional love and sacrifice for family - a position many people may find themselves in at one time or another during their lives, some sooner than later - I know I've been there. That movie always reminds me about the things that are really important, aside from all the bourgeois shit that seems to dominate Western culture, my mind, and TV screen at the moment, and I'm highly thankful for those little reality checks. I could go into a heavy plot description here giving you a tear-jerking analysis about the role of family in America, the struggle of the working class, and the heavy sorrow of going on when hope is nowhere in sight, but you can just Google it - I suggest watching the movie instead.